Bless this post.
Let me tell you something about today. Today was the hottest day of the year in New Jersey, I woke up sweating despite air conditioning because it was 95 degrees. Now, i did what any logical person would do and I put on my favorite pair of shorts so i wouldn’t be sweating throughout the day.
Even in my shorts i was sweating my balls off but I went through half of my day as normal, no boys stared at my ass or tried to grope me in public yet when i went to the the cafeteria a teacher told me to go to the office because he finds my shorts inappropriate. I head down to the office to find a group of girls wearing shorts and skirts sitting in a small room in the office, we where all ordered to call our parents or to change into the clothes they had offered us from the school store. These items of clothing included sweatpants and a large heavy sweatshirt. I obviously refused to where those because it was 95 degrees and when you are sweating the key to cool down is NOT to put on more clothes. They told me I would have to stay in that room the whole day if it came down to it.
I was able to leave the office when my friend gave me a pair of yoga pants. The man who made me go down to the office brought down several other girls as I was leaving, at this point they didn’t care how long the shorts where they just sent everyone who was wearing a pair down. They warned me that if I put my shorts back on they would right me up.
I put them back on anyway because just walking down the hallway in those yoga pants made me faint, dizzy,and extremely hot. Thats the main issue, it is hot enough for people to pass out in school but to the school system they would rather a girl suffer from a heat stroke then to have a boy become turned on. My shorts don’t say “COme fuck me in the middle of class” they say,”Its warm out”
The sexualizing of innocent students is not okay
Risking students health is not okay
and tHE LACK OF FEMINISM IN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM WILL NEVER BE OKAY
Today was literally horrible
I hate our school so much
That male teacher is a predator. Ogling young girls and sexualizing them? Keeping them in small closed quarters in a group subject to his authority. Mmmhhmmm. Disgusting
Fuck slut shaming.
It’s not slut shaming, it’s called self respect. You just don’t show your breasts all the time, they’re privates. Shut the fuck up.
why should anyone’s nipples be such a big deal though? it’s a bit weird to say that it’s okay for men to be shirtless and not women… I respect myself quite a bit and sometimes I’ve posed topless. it doesn’t make me a bad person and if someone loses respect over me showing a body part that literally everyone has, they’re regressive.
The reason breasts are considered “privates” is because misogynist culture oversexualizes the female breast despite it not being a sexual organ. The fact the males can go around shirtless in most public places (even if they are large enough to have breast-like pecs themselves) and females can’t is sexism, end of story.
Self respect isn’t about rather or not you show your breasts, it’s about being comfortable with your choices. If you want to pose topless, that’s okay. If you don’t, that’s okay too. What’s not okay is doing what the girls in the top picture are doing and saying you’re better than someone else because you choose one way and they chose another.
Telling women that they should be ashamed for choosing something that doesn’t hurt them or others (and by hurt them, I mean like choosing to do drugs or something like that), you are contributing to the patriarchy and oppression.
bolded for emphasis
Yes! Nudity is not the same as pornography, and our bodies are not inherently pornographic.
Bless this post.
I don’t care how many times I’ve reblogged this
instead of publicly shaming girls for wearing shorts on an 80 degree day you should teach teachers and male students to not overly sexualize a normal body part to the point where they apparently cant function in daily life
Hi all of you need to read this now.
you don’t need to look a certain way to be beautiful
Isn’t it weird that when a 17 year old male identifying person rapes a 13 year old female identifying person, he is too young to be held accountable for his actions, but the VICTIM isn’t.
you see this?
it’s called a razor
if you’re a girl, USE IT
your hairy legs and armpits aren’t cute okay
you’re not helping out for woman’s rights or anything
YOU’RE JUST MAKING YOURSELF LOOK NASTY
Women have been socialized to believe that they must remove hair for a number of reasons, primarily the following:
- hair is historically and Biblically associated with power; we as a patriarchal culture are obsessed with keeping hair on men (facial hair, Hair Club for Men, hair plugs, whatever) and keeping it off women. You say hair on women is nasty; why is it only hair on women? Women and men have the same pubic hair. We all grow it out of our follicles for the same reason. Why is it only gross on women?
- women’s bodies have been considered the property of men since the dawn of time, and therefore we have been held to a standard of beauty and attractiveness that is not determined by us but is instead determined by something called the male gaze, which is erases all sexualities and genders other than cisgender heterosexual men and assumes that women are performing for it.
- childlike women are considered less “threatening” and more “feminine” because they are naive, quiet, and rely on ~*adult men*~ to take care of them.
- there is a fallacy about pubic hair that it is dirty. It is not dirty. In fact, it’s there to keep your genitals cleaner. Pubic hair and armpit hair are also there to spread your pheromones around and make it easier for you to attract a mate.
- all mammals have hair. We’re mammals.
- No one else’s body is your business. Ever. You want to shave? Go ahead! That’s totally your prerogative and if you’re more comfortable shaving, feel free. But given that pubic hair isn’t innately dirty, there’s no reason for anyone to remove it if they don’t want to.
You’re not sending out some edgy, hardcore message here. You’re just reinforcing what our culture wants you to reinforce. Before you pick up that razor again, think about why you want to shave. Is it just because our culture told you to? Why’d they tell you to? What’s the point?
Do what makes you comfortable and what makes you happy, and let others do the same.
Not to mention that at least in the US, shaving legs and underarms has been a thing for less than a century.
And was popularized by razor and depilatory companies. Who, of course, just wanted to double their sales by targeting women as well as men. Their marketing campaigns started in women’s magazines in 1915.
Here’s the first advertisement they ran trying to sell razors by telling women their underarm hair was “objectionable”. And it worked.
Advertising and commercialism once again enforcing arbitrary restrictions on women’s bodies~
Yes I am reblogging this again. Because of what the above person added. It’s so interesting to learn how customs come about in a culture.
I need feminism because I don’t know how to use a difibulator on a woman as it is not acceptable to show a woman’s breasts on television